Saturday, May 5, 2012

Ciao Orvieto... Hello London!

Friday… last full day in Orvieto. I was glad I had been packing because I was able to just relax and enjoy the day. Katie and I hadn’t used our passes to get into the Duomo to just walk around so we decided to get up early to beat the crowd. I had been in the Duomo many times before for church and the concerts, but this was pretty cool because I was able to walk around and really see everything. There are some pretty incredible frescoes by Luca Signorelli, and since we had been learning about it all semester, it was nice to be able to look at them and understand what was going on. The Duomo is so beautiful. I still can’t believe my eyes after being here for four months.

After the Duomo we had to go to the school to help tear down our exhibition and to get our apartment deposits back – 100 euro richer! Haha. Well 50 because then we decided to go mail our wines so we didn’t have to worry about them breaking or getting them taken away in the airport. The rest of the afternoon was rather lazy. I laid outside and prepared my “to-do” list for while I’m in London. So much to see! Good thing I will be there for four days! I also started reading the second hunger games book… can’t get away from them now!

After a lazy afternoon, it was time to get dressed up for our final dinner together as a group. We all went to a nice restaurant and had several courses of food and wine. I was beyond full! I was so glad we had the dinner though because it was nice to have everyone together one last time before we all go separate ways for the summer. I thought I was so ready to go home, but after hearing the professors talk and a group of us talk about the teachers, I realized how much of a family we have become, and it’s going to be hard to leave it. I was able to get up and talk about my Italian teacher, Roberta. She truly is an incredible person along with Serena, Marina and Diego. They’ve all helped make this experience an amazing one.
Roberta and I
After dinner, Rachel, Katie and I walked around with Serena, Marina and Roberta for a while just to talk, and then we went and hung out with some fellow K-Staters. It was a great last night in Orvieto. I’m going to miss this place so much. Guess that means I just have to come back!
Talking during our walk through town
Today has been spent finishing up packing (making sure I meet the weight limits). Katie and I went to Pozzo della Cava which is another sight we hadn’t seen yet. It is a well within a cave. It was pretty amazing. Orvieto just has so many incredible sights to see. We also went and got our last Kebab – when you come to Europe you have to try them… so good! And I got my last cup of gelato. Ice cream will never be the same!
The well in Pozzo della Cava
It’s hard to believe that in a couple hours I will be leaving Orvieto and heading to London and Prague for the week… and then back home. I feel like I just got here and now I’m leaving home. It’s a bittersweet feeling. I’m so glad I took this opportunity; it’s been one of the most amazing experiences in my life… and it’s not quite over yet!
Katie and I after dinner
Stay tuned for my London and Prague adventures!
Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment